Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers For Constituent Concerns











Who do I call if I have a consumer complaint?

You should contact both the Oregon Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section and the Better Business Bureau. You can reach the Consumer Protection Division on the web or by calling toll-free (877) 877-9392. You can contact the Oregon and Western Washington Better Business Bureau by going to their website or by calling (503) 226-3981.



Who do I call if my mail is not getting delivered regularly?

If you are experiencing trouble with your local mail delivery, it is best to first contact your local post office with your concerns. Because of the Postal Reorganization Act, the United States Postal Service (USPS) is an independent federal agency. I have no direct jurisdiction over this agency and am limited in what I can do. Hoping to be of some assistance, however, I have provided the web site for the USPS. This web site has helpful information, including a place where you can locate the address and/or phone numbers for your local post office.




How does one know if a charity is legitimate?

There are over 600,000 legitimate chartiable organizations nationwide, and most are looking for donors. To find out if a charity is registered to solicit in Oregon, contact the Oregon Department of Justice, Charitable Activities section. You can call them as well at 503-229-5725. To find out how a registered charity will use your donation, ask for a copy of the charity's annual financial report.



I want the Congressman to support/oppose legislation.

If there is a bill currently before Congress that matters to you or your family, I want you to contact me and let me know.

Washington, DC Office
2134 Rayburn H.O.B.
Washington DC, 20515
Phone: (202) 225-6416

Eugene Office
405 East 8th Ave. #2030
Eugene, OR 97401
Phone: (541) 465-6732

Coos Bay Office
125 Central, Suite 350
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Phone: (541) 269-2609

Roseburg Office
612 S.E Jackson Street, Room 9
Roseburg, OR 97470
Phone: (541) 440-3523

Reach me by e-mail, or call my Oregon office toll-free at 1-800-944-9603





How do I find out the status of a bill before Congress?

You can check on the status of a bill in Congress by visiting and searching by bill number, word search/phrase, or by selecting a particular sponsor or co-sponsor. 



How do I contact my elected state officials?

You can look up your State Representative or your State Senator and find contact information for their offices in Salem.




What services are available for a small business?

For information on starting your own business, small business loans or how to find the nearest Small Business Development Center, please visit the Small Business Administration's web site.




How do I find out about available federal grants?

For detailed information on hundreds of grants, loans and other forms of assistance available through various federal agencies, please visit the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance. The Catalog is searchable by keyword or by various indexes for your convenience.



How Do I Apply For Social Security and Medicare?

For eligibility and general information on applying for Social Security and Medicare and how to locate your nearest office, please visit the Social Security Administration's website or call (800) 772-1213.

These are considered general guidelines regarding applying for Social Security and Medicare. For more information or if your particular problem or question was not addressed and you need additional assistance, please  contact my office.




Who can assist me with Medicaid problems?

Medicaid is run by the State of Oregon, even though the federal government shares in the cost of some programs. If you have any questions about applying for Medicaid or to see if you qualify, you should visit the Office of Medical Assistance Programs in the Oregon Department of Human Services or call them at (503) 731-4000.




Where do I apply for financial aid to attend college?

Your first step should be to complete the Free Application for Federal Student
Aid (FAFSA). You can get this application by visiting the U.S. Department of Education's website, or calling the Department of Education at 1-800-4FEDAID.

These are considered general guidelines regarding student financial aid. If your particular problem or question was not addressed and you need additional assistance, please go to my casework section or contact my office.




How do I apply for a nomination to the service academies?

All five U.S. service academies offer young men and women a free college education while preparing them for an officer's commission in the Armed Forces, Merchant Marines, or Coast Guard. All except the COAST GUARD ACADEMY require a congressional nomination for admission.*

If you are interested in my nomination to one of the following academies, you must be a resident of the Fourth Congressional District, a citizen of the United States, and between the ages of 17 and 22.

I base my nominations for all academies on the whole person. That means I look at Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) scores, academic performance, physical condition, any work experience, and extracurricular activities like athletics and community service.

Please call or write my Eugene office for more information or to request an application for nomination.

*Please note, if you are the daughter or son of a Medal of Honor recipient, you do not need a congressional nomination to apply for admission to the service academies.



Where can I obtain tax forms from the IRS?

You can call the IRS' toll-free forms request line at: 1-800-829-1040, or download them through the IRS website. Many U.S. Post Offices and community libraries have them available also.

These are considered general guidelines to obtain IRS forms. For more information or if your particular problem or question was not addressed and you need additional assistance, please go to my casework section or contact my office.




How do I obtain a passport?

Up to date information is available from the State Department's Passport Services Section.

*If your particular problem or question was not addressed and you need additional assistance, please go to my casework section or contact my office.




What are the current warnings for international travel?

The U.S. Government remains deeply concerned about the security of Americans overseas. The State Department urges Americans to review their circumstances carefully and to take all appropriate measures to ensure their personal safety. Americans are urged to monitor the local news and maintain contact with the nearest American embassy or consulate. The Department will continue to develop information about potential threats to Americans overseas and to share with them credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents. These documents are available on the Travel Warning Section of the U.S. State Department website.

U.S. citizens planning to travel abroad should consult the Department of State's Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information Sheets, Fact Sheets, and regional travel brochures, all of which are available at the Consular Affairs web site. We will continue to provide updated information should it become available. American citizens overseas may contact the American Citizens Services unit of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate by telephone or fax for up-to-date information on security conditions. American citizens in need of emergency assistance should telephone the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate before visiting there.

In addition to information on the Internet, U.S. travelers may hear recorded information by calling the Department of State in Washington, D.C. at 202-647-5225 from their telephone.


Where can I find immigration forms or become a naturalized U.S. citizen?

There are two ways to obtain forms from the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service. You can call their toll-free forms request line at: 800-375-5283, or download them through the USCIS web site.



I am having problems with my TRICARE.

TRICARE is a regionally managed health care program for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services, their families, and survivors. TRICARE brings together the health care resources of the Army, Navy and Air Force and supplements them with networks of civilian health care professionals to provide better access and high quality service while maintaining the capability to support military operations. To help find the answers to your questions, please visit TRICARE's website or call the Northwest region at (800) 404-2042.




What is the status of my VA claim/appeal?

The main purpose of the Department of Veterans' Affairs is to administer the laws providing benefits and other services to veterans and their dependents and the beneficiaries of veterans. It is common to have questions about the VA. In order to provide further assistance to veterans and their families, the VA established an informative website. You can find answers to some of your questions by visiting the Veteran Administration's website.




Where can I get copies of my military records?

The National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) is the repository of millions of military personnel, health, and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans of all services during the 20th century. NPRC (MPR) also stores medical treatment records of retirees from all services, as well as records for dependent and other persons treated at naval medical facilities. Information from the records is made available upon written request (with signature and date) to the extent allowed by law. To obtain more information, or to download a copy of the Military Records Request form please go to NPRC's website. This site also gives information on how to obtain military medals and/or awards for veterans.



How do I get my military discharge upgraded?

Each military department maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals that are not issued by a sentence of a general court martial. (The discharge review board has no authority to address medical discharges.) You can obtain more information on this subject, as well as download important forms, by visiting the Department of Veteran's Affairs' military discharge upgrades website.