DeFazio Votes in Support of Landmark Voting Rights, Anti-Corruption and Ethics Reform Package
Rep. Peter DeFazio (OR-04) yesterday voted in support of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, landmark legislation that will expand voting rights and accessibility, ensure the integrity of our elections, reduce the influence of big money in politics, and clean up corruption in Washington, D.C.
“Most Americans believe our political system is broken—and unfortunately, they are largely correct,” said Rep. DeFazio. “That’s why I support reforms that are designed to put everyday Americans back in charge of their government, ensuring that the priorities of the people are heard and addressed. We can no longer have a system where every American citizen does not have an equal voice when choosing their elected representatives—H.R.1 will take the critical first steps towards proactive political reform that holds our nation’s elected officials accountable.”
Key provisions of the For the People Act include:
- Expanding automatic voter registration and same day registration.
- Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access.
- Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression.
- Protecting elections from foreign interference.
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering.
- Promoting digital ad transparency.
- Forcing disclosure of dark money.
- Reining in lobbyist influence.
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.
- Empowering small donors with matching funds paid for by wealthy, corporate lawbreakers, not taxpayers.
Rep. DeFazio authored an amendment to the bill that would require the United States Postal Service to treat all election mail as First Class Mail, ensuring ballots will be securely and speedily delivered and giving Americans who vote by mail peace of mind.
For more information about H.R. 1 see here.